Sunday, March 01, 2009

Masham Rideout

Helen and I went on a rideout today with NUKB to Masham. The ride was led by CJ with Scotsy doing TEC. The ride was planned as a trial run for the Big Meet in April at Masham.


A few us us met up at Clitheroe Services and waited for the main group to arrive from The Tickle Trout. We left Clitheroe around 9:45am and headed down the A59 to Skipton to meet up with some of the Yorkshire lads at the Little Chef.


Masham Once we had all met up we set out up the A59 and then took a left to Threshfield on the B6265. At Threshfield we hung a right to Grassington. We stopped in Grassington for a quick comfort break then continued on the B6265 past Stump Cross Caverns to Pateley Bridge. We continued on down the B6265 to Risplith where we took a left onto some minor roads to Masham that went via Kirkby Malzeard and Grewelthorpe. We arrived at Masham at 11:30am which was a little too early for lunch. So after a brief break and a chat we decided to continue on to Hawes for lunch.


Masham We left Masham on the A6108 and just before arriving in Leyburn we took a left onto a minor road to cut around Leyburn. We joined the A684 after Leyburn and proceeded through Aysgarth and Bainbridge to Hawes. We arrived in Hawes at around 12:30am and stopped for lunch. Myself, Helen, Graham and Deb went to Crown Hotel as Helen wanted a more healthy lunch in the form of a jacket potato.


Devil's Bridge After lunch we headed for Devils Bridge along the B6255 to Ingleton via the Ribblehead Viaduct. This run was slightly spoiled as we hit a band of heavy rain on the way. We were still able to have a decent run though. At Ingleton we turned right onto the A65 to Devils Bridge. We arrived at Devils expecting to see the Police there doing spot checks, but they were no where to be seen. Devils was quite busy considering that rain was about.


After a short break our Leader CJ headed home via the motorway. I led a small group from Devils down the A683 to Caton. After passing through Caton we turned left towards Quernmore. In Quernmore we turned left again and headed for Dunsop Bridge via the Trough of Bowland. As we came down Sniddle Holes to enter the Trough I saw the blades of a helicopter and then I rounded the next corner and saw a Ducati crashed into the front of a Micra. The helicopter was the air ambulance and was just landing. Seeing as the air ambulance was on scene I didn’t see any point in stopping and getting in the way, so I carried on. We waited at Dunsop Bridge for everyone to regroup and then turned left to Newton. In Newton we turned right onto the B6478 for Clitheroe. We went through Clitheroe and turned right onto the A59 and then 4 us turned left on the A671 for Simonstone, the rest travelled on the A59 bound for Preston and beyond. The 4 of us then took the A6068 for the M65. At the M65 2 us dropped off leaving just Helen and I to head home via the A56/M66.


Update: Scotsy mentioned on the forum later that he had stopped and talked to the Ducati riders pals and they said that he was ok.