Monday, May 04, 2015

May Day Run

Helen and I went out for a run today, due to it being a bank holiday I decided it would probably be a good idea to avoid most of the popular routes around the Dales and Cumbria. It was also a good chance to finish off my tyres and to test that the Garmin and bike to bike radios still worked.

We started out and headed straight for Clitheroe. We then headed through Waddington and over Waddington Fell to Newton-in-Bowland. From here we turned left and headed to Dunsop Bridge and then turned onto the Trough of Bowland road and headed to Quernmore. We turned north and Quernmore and then joined the A683 at Caton. We then briefly followed the A683 to Hornby and then turned  onto Fleet Lane and headed for the B6254. We turned right onto the B6254 and Trough of Bowlandfollowed this all the way to Kirkby Lonsdale. This is the first time we have ever used  this road and it was much quieter and probably better than taking the A683 all the way instead. We passed through Kirkby Lonsdale itself and then continued on the B6254 towards Kendal, again another nice quiet flowing road. Just before Kendal we turned right onto the single track Hayclose Lane and then passed over the A684 and followed the even tighter Paddy Lane to the A685. We then turned right and followed the A685 down into Tebay and then the B6250 to Orton. We stopped in Orton at Orton Scar Cafe formerly Silver Yard Cafe.

After a lovely lunch as usual we joined the B6261 and followed that to the A685 and then headed for Kirkby Stephen. Just before Kirkby Stephen we turned onto Station Road and then joined the B6259 to Nateby. We Ice Creams in Settle passed through Nateby and followed the B6259 all the way to the junction with the A684 at The Moorcock Inn. We then followed the A684 to Hawes and then joined the superb B6255 to Ribblehead Viaduct. From here we joined the B6479 to Settle via Horton in Ribblesdale. We stopped in Settle and got a well earned ice cream from our usual haunt the Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe.

We then headed back home via our usual route of Wigglesworth, Sawley and Saben. The SatNav and radios both worked as they should and it would appear as suspected that the sound issue was down to my previous microphone. The only minor issue was the new microphone picked up wind noise easier and so was setting off the Vox for the radios when not intended. The easy solution to this is to put tape over the internal chinbar vents and and to turn the Vox sensitivity down on my Autocom unit.